Wednesday, 26 April 2017

26. FEUD

You mean all this time we could have been friends
is a hard tack to swallow, but who among us has never
held a pin between our teeth? Sometimes there are hems
and sometimes it makes sense and I confess: I’m a
sucker for the death bed reconciliation. Sometimes I can’t
tell if my grudges are too thick or barely enough to keep
myself warm. Am I the bent branch in a strong gust or too stiff
for ballerina shoes? You know, they say an optimist
is someone who does the same thing over and over again
and expects different results. Well, I have always
preferred butter to the bread’s lonely side, but I lied,
they didn’t say that at all. All this time we could have been
playing dead instead of snagging hooks in the septic pool,
praying we’ll come up carp. They say if there’s blood in the sink,
it’s already time to stop spitting, but even an iron rod can
believe in happy endings. I confess: I’m a sucker, again
and again, so I'll close my teeth tight this time,
and pray for my lungs.


No comments:

Post a Comment